Thursday, October 16, 2008

Redwood Forrest * Day Nineteen 09-06-08

Today we headed south on 101 highway through the Redwood National Forest.



We watched the surfers in the ocean.


I waved at 50' Paul Bunyan and his 35' Babe the Blue Ox as we drove by. They live at Klamath. The 8/10th mile groomed interpretive rail takes you through the redwoods and allows you to learn the legend of Paul Bunyan.


I was told there are some really big trees here. World's tallest living tree ---monarch of the North Coast---living link to the Age of Dinosaurs. A redwood grows from a seed the size of a tomato seed, yet it may weigh 500 tons and stand taller than the Statue of Liberty. They may live over 2,000 years.


They are right. This one is soooooo big and I feel sooooo small. Can you find me?


There are lots of ferns in this forest.


Can you find me?

Our van looks so small next to these tall trees.

I met another bear friend.

My ranger girlfriend.


My first time to drive through a tree.


I helped Mama Bev drive through the tree.

This tree is 2400 years old. That is older than Papa Ken and Mama Bev combined.

The measurements on the tree opening.

We drove 323 miles to Williams in the Sacramento Valley and spent the night in a Motel 6. How about this BRIGHT bedspread that is 'screaming' Motel 6. It is so 'loud' that it might keep me awake tonight.

No comments: