Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fairbanks, Alaska * Day Twelve 08-30-08

We took a 3 1/2 hour cruise on the beautiful Tanana and Chena rivers aboard The Discovery, an authentic stern wheeler. The Tanana is the largest glacier-fed stream in the world.

We are starting to move away from shore.

We saw bush planes taking off and landing from a 'bush' style runway right next to the boat.

This plane landed on a very small sandy place.

The boat stopped along shore of the Trail Breaker Kennel. This is a working kennel of husband & wife mushers Dave Monson & Susan Butcher. The late Susan Butcher won the 1,100 mile Iditarod Dog Sled Race from Anchorage to Nome four times (1986, 1987, 1988, and 1990.)

We learned about the importance of salmon to the Athabascan Culture.

This time of year the reindeer are shedding the velvet from the new grown antlers and it looks 'bloody.' I learned difference between reindeer and caribou is the reindeer are domesticated.

Hey, why am I here? I am not a salmon hung on this rack to dry. Get me off!!

This 'thing' brings the fish out of the water.

I am in love with this beautiful Athabascan Indian.
After the boat trip we ate lunch in The Pump House Restaurant overlooking the Chena River, then toured the Large Animal Research Center and learned about the Musk Ox and prehistoric animals that are preserved there. We then went to the University of Alaska Museum of the North which was built in 2005. This was my favorite place to see today.
I am ready to go.

This lady let me watch her do beautiful bead work.

Can you find me?

I am standing on a 3,550 pounds of jade.

It is cold here.

This is Otto, the 8' 9" brown bear that stands watch at the gallery entrance.

Someone spent lots of time carving this rock.

I feel short.

Wow, this is a big bone.

Them bones, them bones, them dry bones.

Beautiful art work.

Sun setting behind the University of Alaska Museum of the North in Fairbanks.

Map shows the Alaskan pipeline route.
The Visitor Center was closed, but we looked at the hugh pipeline.

The Alaskan Pipeline.
Pigs in the Pipeline! How did they get there?


So this is a pig!

No comments: